Sol Young

iPad: No 3G needed (just tether to your phone via wifi)

I’m on the train in to Philadelphia and writing this post on a wifi-only iPad via wifi tethering. The 3G iPads come out later this month, but why would you want an additional $30 per month plan when most mobile phones have decent bluetooth or wifi tethering options?

I set up my Google nexus one (T-Mobile) a couple weeks ago for wifi tethering. One tap of a button and it shares its 3G. The iPad connects through it seamlessly.

If you have a tethering ability with your phone, try using it before opting for the 3G iPad. You can save some skrilla and have a little longer battery life (on the iPad – mileage on your phone may vary).

6 comments for “iPad: No 3G needed (just tether to your phone via wifi)

1. April 5, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Do you have to pay extra on t-mobile to allow tethering? That'd be the main drawback for me.

2. April 5, 2010 at 3:43 pm

No, this is using the standard Android Internet plan ($30.00 per month). Note: If you use a lot of bandwidth with your Android phone, T-Mobile may put restrictions or disable your account… If you use their network for massive data use, be warned that you'll likely get throttled or bumped.

3. Hosh
    April 27, 2010 at 6:41 pm

This sounds great! However I'm a G1 user and I think I only have access to the PDANet application.

What app are you using to tether?

4. April 27, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I use wireless tether… it works for the G1, too. You'll love it. You may
    have to root the phone first.

5. johnwulfing
    May 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I have the g1 phone also, and I am wondering how to tether to iPad. Can you explain the process?

6. May 11, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Best option is to go here: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

From there, check out the FAQ… There are links to some good instructions on setting up your phone. Following them isn't so hard, but might seem daunting at first. The payoff is worth it though :)